What is Skinny Dip Day?
A good excuse to get out of your comfort zone and develop acceptance of yourself and others… united in all our flawed glory.
An opportunity to restore health to women who have been injured and shamed in birth trauma.
A playful way to recognize and encourage kindness (and body positivity). Top fundraisers earn trophy; gear; publicity.
What is the charity?
On Skinny Dip Day, let’s restore health to women who have had their bodies injured and shamed in birth trauma.
ALL money raised goes to Fistula Foundation — widely regarded as one of the most effective charities in the world.
Fistula is a tragic childbirth injury largely eradicated in the developed world, but still devastating women in the poorest countries. It’s curable with life-transforming surgery.
Fistula Foundation provides these surgeries, which only cost (on average) $598.
Every $598 raised is another woman’s life transformed.
My Personal Experience At Skinny Dip Day 2022 – Blacks Beach, CA
I was biased going into this. I knew the charity organizer. But that’s also how I heard about Skinny Dip Day and what got me to sign up initially.
The organizer is Thomas Francine. Someone who hitchhiked and walked over 26,000 miles across the world… for no other reason than to show that humanity is inherently good.
With that kind of recommendation, how could I say no? 🙂
What I knew before I went to Skinny Dip Day
- I researched the Fistula Foundation and their cause. I decided I absolutely wanted to support the severely needed work they’re providing.
- Local groups of anyone and everyone get together at a designated beach that allows nudity.
- Anyone (after being approved) can host their own local meetup on skinny dip day to raise even more funds and awareness.
- Anyone can host their own local meetup by themselves or with family or friends.
- Everyone was welcome and actively encouraged to join. The point of a “skinny dip” was to raise money for the Fistula Foundation in solidarity with body positivity to those suffering.
- Active inclusion and respect of all good humans who attend is expected.
- There is no right way to do Skinny Dip Day, other than showing up! Respect everyone’s boundaries and what they are comfortable with.
- The two main goals are
- Raise money for a fantastic charity
- Have fun!
How Skinny Dip Day Went
It went absolutely awesome! 😀
There were great people everywhere! Some came and hung out all day. Some came by for a short while just to show support. And many others were just having a day at the beach and then decided to be a part!
There is an entire story that can be written about that day and my experiences. Speaking with so many varied people. So many perspectives. So much love while always keeping in mind the women who we were there on behalf of. (I will write this story soon, actually. 😉)
What happened after Skinny Dip Day
- Thousands of dollars were raised
- Multiple women’s lives were changed for the best forever
- Lifelong friendships were made
And that is why I’m posting about Skinny Dip Day today. 🙂
I’m hoping to see some of you there this summer for the fourth annual and largest gatherings yet!
This is day 20 of Cory Miller’s 30 Days of ‘Clicking Publish’. A singular seed from which many trees are growing.
Leave a Reply